Monday, March 21, 2011

My Learning Style

I learned by taking the VARK test that I am a Multimodal Learner. This means that I have multiple learning preferences. The majority of people who have taken the test are also Multimodal Learners.

My strongest preferences were Reading/Writing and Kinesthetic. A few of the methods suggested for taking in information are using lists and handouts. I constantly make lists! The only way that I can remember what I have to do is if I write everything out in list form, therefore, I agree with this completely! I also like to use handouts whenever I’m learning or teaching something new. When studying, reading/writing oriented learners are encouraged to read and reread their notes over and over. I also find this effective.

Kinesthetic learners are encouraged to learn by taking field trips and using hands-on approaches to learning. I always seem to learn better if I see someone demonstrating what to do. Therefore, I think that I do fit into the kinesthetic learning category as well. These learners are encouraged to study by creating real-life examples to help them remember the topic that he or she is studying. I try to do that as much as I can because it really helps me.

By taking the VARK assessment, I learned about a couple of new study techniques that I’ll try to remember next time I’m studying for a test. One example of those techniques is to draw diagrams to help me remember what I’m studying.

1 comment: