Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Student Interviews


Struggling Student


T: Teacher Candidate    S: Student


T: Do you enjoy school?

S: Yes.

T: Can you tell me what you like about it?

S: Seeing my friends.

T: I always liked coming to school to see my friends, too. 


T: What kind of student are you?

S: (hesitates and shrugs shoulders)  

T: Do you think you’re a good student or a bad student?

S: Good.

T: Ok.  I think that you’re a good student, too. 

 
T: What do you like to do for fun outside of school?

S: Umm, play tag.
T: So you like to play outside?

S: Yes.


T: How would your classmates describe you?

S: (shrugs shoulders)

T: What do you think that your classmates would say about you if I asked them to describe you?

S: I’m funny.

 
T: Who are your friends?

S: Maddie.

T: What do you and Maddie like to do together?

S: Play outside.

T: I also like to be outside! 


T: Can you tell me a good memory that you have about school?  Like, tell me about a day that you thought was a really good day.  You can think back from Kindergarten all the way up to now.

S: 3rd grade.

T: What was good about third grade?  Did you do something fun?
S: I got to see who my teacher was. 

T: And did you have a good third grade teacher?

S: Yes.

 
T: Now can you tell me a bad memory that you have from school?

S: (thinks for a few minutes)  No.

T: Well, ok.  It’s good to have all good memories.  (told a story about a bad memory that I had in school)

S: Oh. (smiles) 

 
T: What do you think makes a good teacher?  How would a teacher act if she was a good teacher?

S: She’s funny. 

T: Is that all?

S: Yes.

 
T: Now, if you could spend one whole day with your teacher, what would you want her to find out about you?  Is there anything that you wish that your teacher knew that she doesn’t know already?

S: About my family.

T: (told about my family and talked about hers)

 

 

 

Excelling Student

 
T: Do you enjoy school?

S: Sometimes.

T: Ok, thank you for being honest with me.  What do you not like about school?

S: I don’t know; when I get in trouble.

T: You?? Get in trouble?  I’ve never seen that!  What do you get in trouble for?
S: Sometimes talking.

 
T: What kind of student are you?

S: Good.

T: Ok.  I think that you’re a good student, too. 

 
T: What do you do for fun outside of school?

S: Mostly swing and walk around. 

T: So, you like to be outside?

S: No, because we live in the middle of nowhere and there’s nothing to do.  There are only trees!      

T: Oh, I liked growing up in the woods.  There’s always something to get into! 


T: How would your classmates describe you?

S: I’m funnyish.

 
T: Who are you friends with?

S: Cayden. 

T: Is he your best friend?

S: Yes.

T: Well, what do you and Cayden like to do for fun?

S: Play games I guess.

 
T: Can you tell me a good memory that you have about school?  Like, tell me about a day that you thought was a really good day.  You can think back from Kindergarten all the way up to now.

S: I wasn’t here ‘til 3rd grade.

T: Well that’s ok.  You can tell me a memory from your old school, too.

S: Ok, when I met my friend James at my old school. 

 
T: Now can you tell me a bad memory that you have from school?  Like, any day that you thought wasn’t good.   

S:  Days when we can’t go outside.

T: I like to be outside, too.  And now that it’s getting colder out, you’ll probably be stuck inside for recess, huh? 

S: Yes. 

 
T: What do you think makes a good teacher?  How would a teacher act if she was a good teacher?

S: She would be nice, but strict, too.

T: Yes, I agree.  Nice and strict are both important! 

 
T: Now, if you could spend one whole day with your teacher, what would you want her to find out about you?  Is there anything that you wish that your teacher knew that she doesn’t know already?

S: That I know how to ride a dirt bike.

T: Wow!  You can ride a dirt bike?

S: Yes, I just learned three days ago. 

 
Short Reflection:

One thing that both the struggling and excelling student had in common was that they each are quite social.  They both have a best friend, but also interact successfully with all other students. 

One difference between the two is the fact that the struggling student spoke in short, one-word sentences while the excelling student elaborated on answers with less prompting. 

      

 

 

 

 

1 comment:

  1. Excellent interviews! I like that you tried to establish a rapport with the students by sharing your own experiences with them!

    Do you think the struggling students was less verbal because they struggle with language or was it a confidence issue? You don't have to answer just something to think about!

    ReplyDelete